Saturday, May 15, 2004

The weather in Boston has turned very Summer-esque recently. We are getting much more heat even though the humidity has not ramped up. The trees are green again, a much welcome sight after such a long winter.

I installed our air conditioners this week. We probably don't need them yet, but I had some free time. Last year we thought that we would be able to live on fans and open windows all summer. But about the third heatwave in July convinced us that we needed something more. Unfortunately by that time the only thing left were the bigger, more expensive units. We got one that had enough cooling power for three rooms. The we mangled our bedroom window frame getting it installed, and tried to us more fans to get the cool air out of the bedroom and into the rest of the house. It didn't work so well. We ended up sitting in front of fans in the living room, then piling blankets onto the bed at night.

This year, Mia decided that if she was going to be pregnant during the summer, she was going to get an AC for the bedroom, and put the big one out in the living room. So I installed the new AC in the bedroom with a friend of mine. Once again it was a big pain and we ended up mangling the frame even more. Then we went to the living room, expecting another fight. We had the AC installed in about five minutes. I wish all home improvement could be that easy. Of course it might help if I was more handy. I might have to try working on that.

No comments: