I am going to dare to tackle a very controversial and sensitive subject. I hope that I can manage it objectively and that my words convey their intended meanings.
Gene Robinson was elected the Bishop of New Hampshire for the Episcopalian church. This has caused quite an uproar to which I would like to add my 2 cents.
But before I begin that, I want to set the boundaries on what I am discussing. I have heard some radio interviews with Robinson, I think that he is an intelligent man who cares deeply about the people he serves. I do not question his integrity or ability as a leader, nor do I believe any of the accusations (all dismissed) brought against him.
I think that gay rights is an important secular, social issue that needs to be debated, but I do not wish to mire myself in the delicate intricacies of that discussion.
What I would like to say is that from as a religion some beliefs are fundamental to the character and integrity of the religion that cannot be tossed around by popular opinion.
One of those beliefs is that a man was made to be with a woman and a woman was made to be with a man. God's first commandment to Adam and Eve, and I feel I can invoke the canon of scripture since this is a religious topic, was to multiply and replenish the earth. This passage has such a depth of meaning. Man and woman are meant to be together, they are meant to create life and provide guidance to their children, frustrating these plans is antagonistic to one of the basic tenets of Christianity.
I think that the Episcopalian church was wrong to allow Robinson to become a Bishop. And again, I do not say this because I think that he is unqualified for the position, but because he has chosen a lifestyle that does not conform to Christian tenets. For this alone I do not think he should be given charge over a section of the church.
On a larger scale, though dissatisfying as this will be, I do not have an answer for homosexuality in a Christian context. It is a very personal issue that cannot be summed up in 1 or 2 blithe sentences. I wish the Episcopalian church all the best as they deal with it.
Wednesday, August 06, 2003
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment