Thursday, January 25, 2007

To Blog or Not to Blog

I read many blogs for work. My reading is focused mostly on SEO (Search Engine Optimization), SEM (Search Engine Marketing), Web 2.0 technology, PR, and Marketing.

The blogosphere is huge. Just in those narrow topic areas, I have lots of content to skim through. (RSS Readers are your friend for this.) Lately, I've been getting more involved with some comments. Which has made me start to wonder if I should start a personal/professional blog.

Ah ha! Typing this up has reminded me of what I wanted to say earlier. I was searching out a few new blogs the other day, and found a few blogs by people that are in more of my position. They are not thought-leaders in the space, but are professionals with a few years experience.

What struck me is that these blogs linked to those thought-leaders. This is, of course, how bloggers get integrated into the blogging community. But, it's also a tactic to try and raise their sites visibility in the search engines and sites like Technorati. Which brings me to the point that I had wanted to make earlier but couldn't remember.

The value of the blogoshere is the creation of content and distribution of information through the network.

When bloggers get too caught up in talking about the blogosphere, they are no longer valuable to me. The bloggers that I respect the most are those that have knowledge of some space and are willing to share that information through their blog. This is also why I'm hesitant to add my voice professionally to the blogosphere. I'm not sure what I would add from my experience that is different from the voices already speaking.
Creating a blog for the purpose of increasing my own visibility might be useful in a future job search, but what value would I add to the conversation?

Maybe one day, maybe one day.

No comments: