Monday, August 20, 2007

Protagonist

I've been getting through my summer reading list. So far I've gotten through Pebble in the Sky by Asimov, and part of book of short stories by Arthur C. Clarke.

Currently, I'm reading Conan by Robert Howard. Interestingly enough, it's a book of short stories as well. And even more interesting, the stories are pretty well written.

As I have discovered, Conan is not Schwarzenegger. He is intelligent but his barbaric nature limits his understanding of the machinations of civilized men. His adventures are not just page after page of blood and conquest. One of the stories I just read was more of a detective tale with only one scene of fighting towards the end.

And, as a writer on pre-emptive sabbatical, it's a very interesting character study. Conan is a protagonist. He is not a hero like we would think of hero's in books today. The most striking example is that he often starts his stories as a thief going after some prize. In pursuing these treasures, he shows no concern for the lives of his opponents. So often in modern tales the hero is the one that values all human life (usually in direct opposition to the villain) even those who are actively trying to kill him/her. In my opinion, this is an outgrowth of modern humanism (good) set in an Darwinian world (without a god or afterlife, bad) that values preservation of individual life over all other virtues.

But, I'm getting sidetracked. In the Conan stories, he's interested in his own preservation. When someone crosses him, he immediately fights to save himself. But, he's also willing to put himself in harms way when he gives his word or someone is depending on him. He's not cruel, just has a very clear sense of self-preservation.

If any of you are interested in the more technical parts of literature, I recommend reading Conan as an interesting way to study characters. And, if you aren't, Howard is a good storyteller.

1 comment:

dastew said...

I know that I probably won't read the story's but that's interesting. I wonder if one of the appeals in literature is that the characters we love most are more selfless than ourselves? I'll have to think about that.