Friday, July 07, 2006

Ok, I have a legitimate reason for not posting for two weeks this time. I was on vacation.

Now, I know that Blogger has a web-based interface, but did I mention that I was on vacation?
I'll submit the write up later. However, because it was so incredibly good, I'm posting the recipe for my dad's jell-o cake here. I might have to make some for myself (maybe I'll share with Mia)

Lots of people have asked about the recipe for the Jello cake with cream cheese frosting, so I've decided to send it out to everyone.

I like to make this with Strawberry flavors, but you can use any jello/fruit you like. I've made it with Orange Jello and a few table spoons of Orange Juice concentrate before and that was really good too. Anyway, use what ever flavor of jello and fresh fruit (or fruit juice) you want, but for this recipe I will use strawberry jello and frozen and fresh strawberries.

First make a plain old yellow cake mix. Nothing fancy, but as usual in cooking, the end product only turns out as good as the ingredients you use. Bake it in a 9x13 pan and let it cool and leave it in the pan. After it is cool, take a large fork, a wooden salad fork is good, and poke holes at a slant all the way through the cake all over the top about every inch or so.

Next, follow the directions on the standard size box of Jello to make the jello except instead of adding the second cup of cold water, you add only 1/2 cup cold water. Pour the liquid jello on the cake to have it seep down the holes you poked in the top. Be careful not to dump it on too fast or it will all run down the side of the cake. Cover it with Saran Wrap and put it in the refrigerator until cold and the jello is set.

When you are ready to make the frosting, leave an 8 ounce box of frozen strawberries (I think the square box is 8 ounces, if not, buy the small, square box) out to get to room temperature. I use frozen strawberries because when they thaw they are already "crushed," but if you want to use fresh, just smash 8 ounces of Strawberries yourself. Also, leave out an 8 ounce box of cream cheese to get to room temperature.

Now, in a mixer mix the cream cheese and strawberries until smooth, then add powdered sugar until you like the taste. Depending on how sour your fruit is you might use one whole box of powdered sugar. When that is done it shouldn't be too runny. The more fruit and sugar you add the runnier it will be, so be careful and don't start out with too much of either. (I know, because I have done this) Next take a regular size tub of thawed Cool Whip and gently fold that into the cream cheese mixture until thoroughly blended. It should be a rather thick frosting and able to pile up on your cake. Take the cake out of the fridge, remove the Saran Wrap, pile on the frosting as thick as you like. Top with fresh strawberry halves (if you want). Eat immediately, or keep in the fridge until ready to serve.

I am writing this from memory so I hope I haven't forgotten anything. If you try it and it doesn't seem to work or have any questions, let me know.

No comments: